Do I need planning permission to build a single storey
rear or side extension?
You are not required to apply for planning permission to extend a single storey at the rear or side of your property if your development follows these limits and conditions:
- The new development together with all other extensions and other out-buildings do not take up 50% of the total land around the original house
- The development is not in front of the property facing a road
- Material used are similar to that of the rest of the property (except when making a conservatory)
- The length of a side extension is smaller than half the length of the original house
- The length of a rear extension is no more than 3meters for an attached property and 4meters for a detached property
- The height of a single storey extension is no more than 4meters and its eaves and ridge does not exceed the height of the property
- If the extension is within 2 meters of the boundary of the property the height of the extension is no more than 3meters
If any of these guidelines are not followed one would be required to apply for full planning permission.
Please note: the permitted development allowances described here apply to houses not flats, maisonettes, other buildings, listed buildings or council set conservation areas.
Extending to the rear or side of your property will not just increase the value of the property, but will also give you the extra space you so desperately need. At 4D planning consultants we have a lot of experience with all types of extensions including “side and return” extensions that will give you the maximum space possible.
Although you may not need planning permission to build an extension, there are still benefits of applying to the council for a lawful development certificate. By applying for a lawful development you will give yourself peace of mind and will give any future buyers of the property confidence that everything was carried out legally, lawfully and legitimately.
Contact us for a no obligation phone conversation and we will offer you free advice and a free competitive quote for your planning or permitted-development application.
To return to the previous page click here.