Do I need planning permission to build a double storey
Do I need planning permission to build a double storey rear extension?
You are not required to apply for planning permission to extend a double storey at the rear of your property if your development follows these limits and conditions:
- The new development together with all other extensions and other outbuildings do not take up 50% of the total land around the original house (i.e. the curtilage)
- Material used are similar to that of the rest of the property
- If the extension is within 2 meters of the boundary of the property the height of the extension is no more than 3meters
- Its eaves and ridge do not exceed the height of the property
- Its length does not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house more than 3meters
- It is not within 7meters of the rear boundary of the property
- The new roofs pitch is similar to that of the existing roof
- The development does not include verandas, balconies or raised platforms
If any of these guidelines are not followed one would be required to apply for full planning permission. A double storey side extension requires full planning permission and is not PD.
Please note: the permitted development allowances described here apply to houses not flats, maisonettes, other buildings, listed buildings or conservation areas.
Double story rear extensions are a great way to extend your home by increasing space not just on the ground floor but also on the first floor. The value of your home should increase considerably after permission has been granted to build this. At 4D planning Consultants we aim to work hard to get you permission for all types of extensions.
Although you may not need planning permission to build a double extension, there are still benefits of applying to the council for a lawful development certificate. By applying for a lawful development you will give yourself peace of mind and will give any future buyers of the property confidence that everything was carried out legally, lawfully and legitimately.
Contact us for a no obligation phone conversation and we will offer you free advice and a free competitive quote for your planning or permitted-development application.
To return to the previous page click here.